UTB issues guidelines on tourist vans during inter-district travel ban – PML Daily


Only registered passenger cars will be allowed to drive during the travel ban (PHOTO / Courtesy)

KAMPALA – The Uganda Tourist Board (UTB) has issued travel guidelines for tour operators – guiding tour vans on inter-district bans.

UTB Director General Lilly Ajarova warned in the new guidelines that only vans authorized by the Tourism Ministry will be allowed to drive after Thursday, June 10.

Here are the guidelines that pickup trucks will need to follow.

“All tourist vehicles must be registered with the Ministry of Public Works and Transport and attached to tourism companies registered and licensed by the Uganda Tourist Board.

All tourists are encouraged to complete their detailed travel itineraries, especially the inter-district itineraries.

All tour guides accompanying tourists must wear their own
identification.

Tourists are encouraged to bring proof of payment for accommodation and tourist activity costs such as; National park entrance fees and permits, if applicable.

COVID-19 SOPs must be observed in tourist vehicles by paying attention to social distancing, wearing masks and disinfection. “

She said tourism in Uganda is open and accessible to all and called on all tourists to adhere to established guidelines in order to curb the increase in infections.

President Museveni reimposed a strict lockdown on Sunday that included the closure of schools and the suspension of travel between districts to help push back an increase in COVID-19 cases in the country.

The new measures, which have come into force, include the closure of all educational institutions, some travel bans, the closure of open weekly markets and the suspension of religious services.

Most of the new restrictions, Museveni said, would be in place for 42 days.

An assessment of their impact will then help the government decide whether to relax or extend them, he added.

Uganda put in place one of Africa’s toughest lockdowns at the start of the pandemic over a year ago, but it has been gradually lifted as cases slowed down.

Last month, however, infections started to rise and new cases, especially among young people, have increased, fueling fears the country could sink into an uncontrollable second wave.

Museveni said in a televised address on Sunday evening that a second wave seizing the country was “diffuse and sustained”.

The government, he said, feared that the increase in the number of cases “would deplete available bed space and oxygen supplies in hospitals unless we take urgent public health measures.”

“In this wave, the intensity of critically ill COVID-19 patients and deaths is higher than what we experienced during the first wave of the pandemic,” he said.

comments


About Thomas Thorton

Check Also

The Pitch: advertising and marketing news from 14.06.22

A screenshot of Virginia Tourism Corp’s “Heart and Soul” campaign website. The Martin agency created …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.