Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has said Russia must take responsibility for an “act of terror” after Kyiv and Moscow blamed each other for strikes at Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant.
“Today the occupiers have created another extremely risky situation for all of Europe: they have struck the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant twice. Any bombing of this site is a shameless crime, an act of terror,” said Zelenskiy in his nightly video speech.
“Russia must take responsibility for the very fact of creating a threat to a nuclear power plant”, he said.
The world’s response should be tough sanctions against the entire Russian nuclear industry, from Rosatom to all related companies and individuals, he added.
Ukrainian nuclear energy company Energoatom said earlier that a high-voltage power line at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant had been hit by Russian shelling.
The press release indicates that the plant is still in operation and that no radioactive discharge has been detected. He said a reactor had been disconnected from the grid due to damage to the high voltage power line.
The statement came shortly after the Russian-installed administration in the occupied Ukrainian town of Enerhodar, where the plant is located, said the plant’s power lines had been damaged by a bomb strike. Ukrainian artillery.
The Interfax news agency quoted the city administration as saying that a fire had broken out at the factory premises and that the electricity necessary for the safe operation of the reactors had been cut off.
Live briefing: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
RFE/RL Live briefing gives you all the latest developments on the ongoing invasion of Russia, how Kyiv is responding, Western military aid, the global response and the plight of civilians and refugees. For all of RFE/RL’s coverage of the war, click here.
The power station, located about 200 kilometers northwest of the Russian port of Mariupol, has been under Russian control since troops from Moscow seized it at the start of the war.
The Russian Defense Ministry also accused the Ukrainian military of hitting the power plant.
“Ukrainian armed units carried out three artillery strikes on the territory of the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant and the city of Enerhodar,” the ministry said in a statement.
As a result of the strikes, a hydrogen pipeline was damaged, causing a fire, the ministry said, adding that the fire was quickly extinguished.
He claimed a radiation leak was averted only by luck and said one unit’s production capacity was reduced and another’s power supply was cut.
In addition, the city of Enerhodar has problems with electricity and water supply, according to the ministry statement.
The statement said Zelenskiy’s government was committing acts of “nuclear terrorism” and urged international organizations to condemn these actions.
Valentyn Reznichenko, the regional governor of Dnipropetrovsk, said Russian forces shelled a town across the Dnieper from the factory the day before.
Reznichenko said Russia fired 60 rockets at Nikopoldamaging around 50 residential buildings and leaving some residents without power.
Military experts quoted in US media say they believe Russia is intentionally bombing the area, knowing that Ukrainian forces cannot risk retaliating as it could damage reactors or disrupt nuclear waste sites.
The bombing has already caused concern to the UN’s nuclear watchdog.
Rafael Grossi, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) declared on August 3 that “all the principles of nuclear safety have been violated” at the plant. “What’s at stake is extremely serious and extremely serious and dangerous,” Grossi said.
The UK Ministry of Defense said in its daily information bulletin August 5 that Russia’s intentions towards the nuclear power plant remain unclear.
However, the bulletin notes, the actions the Russians took at the facility “probably compromised the safety and security of normal plant operations.”
Elsewhere on the battlefield, more than 10 people were injured and an unknown number of people were killed as a result of the shelling of Mykolaiv, Vitaliy Kim, the head of the regional military administration, said on Telegram.
Kim warned earlier that a curfew would be in place in the territory of Mykolaiv from 11 p.m. on August 5 to 5 a.m. on August 8. He urged people to take appropriate action, adding that three evacuation buses would leave the city accompanied by a police escort.
Fierce fighting was underway in the eastern region of Donetsk, Ukraine, while Ukrainian military officials said Russia could launch a new offensive in the south.
Ukraine’s second largest city, Kharkiv, has been bombed by the Russians, the Ukrainian presidential office has announced.
Several industrial sites were hit in the city, and in the nearby town of Chuhuiv, a rocket hit a five-story residential building.
Ukrainian forces managed to repel Russian attacks northeast and east of the towns of Soledar and Bakhmut in the Donetsk region, while fighting continued south of Bakhmut, General of brigade Oleksiy Hromov, Deputy Chief of the Ukrainian General Staff.
However, Hromov confirmed that Ukrainian troops had been forced to withdraw from the village of Semyhirya and their positions southeast of Avdiyivka.
Hromov told a news conference that Ukrainian forces recaptured two villages around the eastern city of Sloviansk, but were pushed back to a nearby town after being forced to abandon a coal mine seen as a defensive position. key.
He said Moscow could launch an offensive in the Kherson region of southern Ukraine to try to regain the momentum of the war and that it had strengthened its forces there.