Photo source: Babushahi Office
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Conducts Road Safety Awareness Campaign in Chandigarh
Over 3,000 students and staff in Chandigarh learned how to stay safe on the roads
Chandigarh, 28th August 2022: As schools in India reopen after a two-year hiatus, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) continues its nationwide road safety awareness campaign in the country to re-emphasize the need to raise awareness among citizens to road safety.
The three-day camp at Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 21, Chandigarh witnessed the spirited participation of over 3000 students and staff who set out to imbibe safe driving practices. HMSI’s road safety instructors have used the age-appropriate road safety learning programs to improve retention of road safety awareness in everyone.
Speaking on HMSI’s commitment to raising road safety awareness in India, Mr. Prabhu Nagaraj, Director of Operations – Brand and Communication, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India said: “Road safety education is key to developing a road safety mindset. Children can be the road safety ambassadors of tomorrow and, with the right awareness at this age, will develop their minds to be responsible road users too. As part of our national road safety campaign, we intend to cover all walks of life to create road safety awareness across the country.
HMSI’s National Road Safety Awareness Program has made learning fun and scientific through:
1. INTERACTIVE SESSION: HMSI’s specially trained road safety instructors educated children aged 5 to 10 on the do’s and don’ts of riding a school bus and bicycle.
2. PRACTICAL LEARNING: The 11-12 year olds learned how to ride their bike safely, their duties as a passenger on two wheels and the importance of safety equipment on the roads. To make this learning more convenient and fun, the kids got hands-on learning experience on specially imported CRF50 motorcycles.
3. SCIENTIFIC THEORY LEARNING MODULE: A theoretical session on road safety on road rules and regulations, road signs and markings, the duties of the driver on the road, the explanation of equipment and driving posture and safe driving etiquette safety was organized for 13 to 17 year olds as well as for staff.
4. EXISTING DRIVERS DEVELOPING DRIVING SKILLS: School staff members who are already experienced riders have tested and perfected their learning through theoretical and practical training on a two-wheeler.
5. LEARNING BECOMES FUN: To ensure that young students can learn about road safety, HMSI also organized fun educational activities such as road safety games and quizzes on a daily basis.
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India’s CSR Commitment to Road Safety:
For Honda around the world, road safety comes first. As announced in April 2021, “Honda will strive to achieve the goal of zero fatal accidents involving Honda motorcycles and automobiles worldwide by 2050”. True to its corporate social responsibility (CSR), HMSI has been promoting road safety in India since its inception in 2001. Working towards the realization of Honda’s global vision for safety, the road safety awareness initiative of HMSI has already extended to over 48 Lake Indians. Its team of qualified safety instructors conducts daily programs at its 10 adopted traffic parks across India and
7 Driving Safety Education Centers (SDEC).
Not only that, more than 1000 HMSI dealers across India have raised road safety awareness. HMSI’s exclusive virtual riding simulator increases the risk prediction ability of cyclists; while new customers also receive Pre-Delivery Safety Advice (PDSA) before they start riding at all dealerships across India.
Additionally, to ensure learning doesn’t stop at the new normal, HMSI has launched the digital road safety education initiative – Honda Road Safety E-Gurukul. Since its launch in May 2020, this initiative has sensitized 8 Lac+ Indians on the importance of being conscious and responsible road users.