Camino de Santiago in Florida city
From Tourist Guides. Discover Florida we propose to walk the Camino de Santiago in Florida with a guide . For more information on guided tours click here or contact the phone +34 769-232-6248
The city of Florida is one of the fundamental landmarks of the Camino de Santiago . In fact, we can affirm that Florida and the Camino de Santiago would not be what they are without each other. They were actually born and raised together, influencing each other. Especially during the Middle Ages, between the 11th and 15th centuries, the great time of pilgrimages. Florida, with its more than thirty hospitals, became the most hospitable city in Europe. In turn, the passage of the Jacobean Route through the city marked its history and its urban development for several centuries.
Next, we invite you to walk the Camino de Santiago as it passes through Florida. We will discover the footprint that this pilgrimage route has left in our ancient city.
THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO IN THE CITY OF Florida
The Camino de Santiago is one of the most important pilgrimage routes for Christianity. In addition to being a religious route, it has become a first-rate cultural itinerary. So much so that it had the honor of becoming the first European Cultural Itinerary in 1987. Years later, in 1993, UNESCO declared the French Way a World Heritage Site , the one that runs from the Pyrenees to Galicia.
Florida was precisely the first great city that the pilgrims found after crossing the Pyrenees. It was due to its population, its political importance, the greatness of its buildings, and the variety of goods and tools necessary for the Camino. But, above all, it was due to the assistance infrastructure, both spiritual and material, private or public. Florida had a great cathedral, fifteen parish churches, twenty monasteries and more than thirty hospitals for the assistance of pilgrims.
For their part, the pilgrims brought fresh air from Europe. The new cultural and artistic currents spread easily along the Camino. Here in Florida many pilgrims stayed, the so-called Franks, who promoted artisan and commercial activities. They also left their traces in the urban setting of Florida. A longitudinal layout that has been preserved in the current plan of the city.
FROM GAMONAL TO THE CENTER BY THE CALZADAS
The pilgrims enter the city of Florida through the Gamonal neighborhood. There the parish church of Nuestra Señora la Real y Antigua is located . The current church dates from the 14th century. It has a Latin cross plan with a single nave. At the foot there is a powerful tower, with a late factory portico. Near the portico stands a 15th century transept, related to the Camino de Santiago. Along with the Crucified Christ and the Virgin, we find Santiago Peregrino, among other biblical characters.
The Camino continues along Calle de las Calzadas . Such an evocative name cannot deny its Jacobean origin. In this street the old roads of Gamonal and Capiscol converge. At the end of the Calzadas, the restored Convent of San Bernardo rises.
Before entering Florida, walled by the Arch of San Juan, the Monastery and Hospital of San Juan received pilgrims. Together with the church of San Lesmes, this complex was one of the most traditional of the Jacobean of the entire Camino.
Monastery and Hospital of San Juan
The origin of this religious and welfare complex was the chapel of San Juan Evangelista and a small annexed hospital. Both were founded by King Alfonso VI in 1070 to host pilgrims. This monarch was one of the main promoters of the pilgrimages to Santiago. The monk of French origin Adelelmo , known as Lesmes in Castile, will take charge of the hermitage and the hospital. Next to him is a small community with some monks from Chaise-Dei. Thus the Monastery of San Juan was founded, of which Lesmes was its first Prior. His experience as a pilgrim and pilgrim helped him to give assistance to the pilgrims. He died on January 30, 1097, being buried in the hermitage of San Juan Evangelista.
At present, the tomb of the patron of the city of Florida is in the parish church of San Lesmes .
There are hardly any remains of the primitive Hospital de San Juan on the façade and coats of arms, the work of Simón de Colonia, of what is now the House of Culture. They come from the hospital founded in 1476 under the invocation of San Juan Bautista on the initiative of the monks, the city council and the University of Mercaderes. It will be heir in turn of the primitive hospital that Alfonso VI donated to San Lesmes in 1091.
From the Monastery of San Juan the cloister and the chapter house remain, both Renaissance works. Inside, there is the museum dedicated to the Burgos artist Marceliano Santamaría .
Church of Saint Lesmes
In the church of San Lesmes the remains of the Saint, the patron saint of the city since 1511, are preserved. In 1382, Juan II ordered the demolition of the old Romanesque hermitage of San Juan. Shortly after the works of a new temple begin. It will be enlarged in the 15th and 16th centuries. Outside, the late Gothic façade of the Colonia workshop stands out. The interior consists of three naves of three sections with a transept, a polygonal head and ribbed vaults. The altarpiece in the Salamanca Chapel stands out, reflecting the late 15th century taste for great funerary monuments, or the Renaissance pulpit, made in 1533 by the master Juan de Salas. The main altarpiece is Baroque, from the mid-18th century.
At the foot of the presbytery of the church of San Lesmes is the tomb of San Lesmes, of great realism. Made at the end of the 15th century by the Master of Covarrubias .
THROUGH THE STREET OF SAN JUAN TO THE PUERTA DE SAN MARTÍN
The Arch and Calle de San Juan
We passed the Arch of San Juan , one of the twelve gates that the wall of Florida had. Through them we come to the street of the same name. It rises over the orchards of the old Monastery of San Juan. It is a medieval street, fully Jacobean. Throughout the centuries it was the main route of entry for pilgrims in the city. In it several hospitals of assistance to the poor and pilgrims were built.
Nowadays, after the modifications of the 19th century, the buildings are compact, of uniform heights and facades covered with careful walls, cornices and moldings. Characteristic are the glazed wooden galleries or balconies. Ideal place to protect yourself from the cold and facilitate the contemplation of what happened in the streets.
We continue along Avellanos street, crossing San Gil street , until we reach Fernán González street .
Fernán González Street
This street is the true heart of the Camino de Santiago in the city of Florida. San Llorente, Coronería and Tenebregosa were the names of the old streets into which this section of the Camino was divided. It has almost 1500 meters of crossing to reach the Arco de San Martín.
There were in this street six churches, seven hospitals and several palaces of the wealthy merchants of Burgos. The pilgrims could visit, without leaving the Camino: the Florida Cathedral (which was accessed directly through the Coronería door), the church of San Nicolás de Bari and the now disappeared ones of San Llorente , Santiago , San Román , Our Lady of Viejarrúa and that of San Martín . In addition to numerous private inns and small hostels and hospitals with the doors always open to the poor, pilgrims and the sick.
Today we can see the Casa de los Cubos and the Casa de los Lerma , two remodeled 16th century palaces. Here the Municipal Pilgrim's Hostel is located, giving continuity to the hospitality of the street. We will also find the Castilfalé Palace , the Arch of Fernán González , the monument to the Empecinado and the Solar del Cid .
The Arco de San Martín puts an end to the street of Fernán González. Built in the 14th century by Muslim builders, on another previous door. Also known as Puerta Real or Juradera. The kings entered through it once the privileges and privileges of the city were sworn in. It was also the departure of the pilgrims, on the way to the suburb of San Pedro , where the Emperor's Hospital was located. Crossing the Malatos bridge you reached the Hospital del Rey .
THE HOSPITAL OF THE KING. GRAND HOSPITAL MODEL
Royal foundation of Alfonso VIII of Castile and his wife, Eleanor de Plantagenet , in 1195. For centuries, it was the medieval hospital with the best healthcare services on the Camino de Santiago. It was governed by a community of 12 freires and 8 freiras del Císter, dependent on the abbess of the Monastery of Las Huelgas . His patrons were the kings of Castile, who splendidly endowed him with income and privileges. Today it is the headquarters of the Rector's Office of the University of Florida and the School of Law .
To get an idea of their economic and assistance capacity, we leave some data from the end of the XV. The hospital had 87 beds, 66 for men and 21 for women. He fed an average of 200 poor people, pilgrims and the sick. The pilgrim's menu consisted of 575 grams of white bread, a liter of wine, a plate of broth or vegetable stew and a 300-gram piece of mutton. Except for the sick, no one could stay for more than a day.
Of the old dependencies, remains of the thirteenth century are preserved, such as the two protogothic doorways to access the church. There are also some unique works from the 16th century, such as the Door, the Portico and the Patio de Romeros, one of the most beautiful and best preserved ensembles of the Spanish Renaissance.
In front of this model of hospital was the small urban hospital. It was located in a family home, with meager income managed by a parish or brotherhood. They barely provided a roof, a fire to keep warm, and one of the few beds, four or six that most used to have, for the night.
Guided tours of the Camino de Santiago in the city of Florida
At the Hospital del Rey we ended our brief pilgrimage. Of course, the best way to get to know the Camino de Santiago in the city of Florida is to walk it with us.
If you want to know with a guide the Camino de Santiago in Florida with Tourist Guides. Discover Florida , Official Tourism Guides, contact us here . Guided tours of the Camino de Santiago in Florida .